Expat Driving in Belgium, Belgium Expats Driving - Allo' Expat Belgium
Allo' Expat Belgium - Connecting Expats in Belgium
Main Homepage
Allo' Expat Belgium Logo

Subscribe to Allo' Expat Newsletter
Check our Rates
   Information Center Belgium
Belgium General Information
Belgium Expatriates Handbook
Belgium and Foreign Government
Belgium General Listings
Belgium Useful Tips
Housing in Belgium
Pets to bring into Belgium
Customs & Etiquettes
Business Etiquettes
Driving in Belgium
Belgium Education & Medical
Belgium Travel & Tourism Info
Belgium Lifestyle & Leisure
Belgium Business Matters
  Sponsored Links

Check our Rates

1(USD) = 0.7322(EUR)
Sat | 01:46PM

Driving in Belgium (Domestic Help)

Driving licences from EU countries are valid for use in Belgium for the period of their validity. Non-EU nationals can use their own licence or an international driving licence initially, but are required to apply at their local town hall for a Belgian licence if their stay in Belgium exceeds 90 days, submitting their existing licence, two passport-type photos and their residence permit. Most non-EU nationals need to sit for a driving test.

Nationals of EU countries, Israel, Japan, Malta, Norway, Pakistan, Philippines, Switzerland and the US can change their own licences for a Belgian one without taking a driving test.

Driving is on the right in Belgium, and the speed limits are 31mph (50 kph) in built-up areas, 75mph (120 kph) on motorways and 75mph (120 kph) on other roads. It is compulsory to wear front and rear seat belts where fitted, and children below 12 are not allowed to travel in the front passenger seat. The maximum blood alcohol level permitted is 0.5 milligrams of alcohol per millilitre of blood.

As a driver you are required to take out personal liability insurance. However, you do not need to insure the car. Third party liability is the minimum legal requirement, but fully comprehensive cover is recommended. Insurance companies issue a Green Card and an accident report form, which should be kept in the car at all times. In the event of any accident, you should complete and sign the form.